badge

Sunday 10 January 2016

The Hapless Woman and the Magical RJ

On some rare days, when I manage to wake up by 6am, I listen to a programme on Radio known as "Life and Healing". I have been listening to the programme since over two years. The words of the RJ who is known by Zen (it's not his real name) always bring a smile on my face, even in the most grey and ashen days of my life. They always motivate me.

Since I am listening to the programme for quite some time, I know that the RJ is a cerebral palsy patient. Despite being a victim of cerebral palsy and having a huge physical disadvantage, he chose to be a dauntless and cheerful person. Having struggled with life all his thirty years, he motivates people to live life with love. 



For those of you who don't know, cerebral palsy is a condition that is marked by spastic paralysis or impaired muscle coordination. People who suffer from cerebral palsy have stiff or weak muscles that affect their posture, movement, balance, communication and everyday tasks. Their life is a constant struggle. 

I have once seen Zen when I went to the radio station to collect a prize. He was sitting in a wheel chair and was constantly cracking jokes with the fellow RJs. I wished to take his autograph, but by the time I went there, he has gone inside the studio. 

Anyways, this is not my story. This is the story of Bhoomi who lives in my locality. It was a Monday of 2015 as far as I can remember. I woke up early and switched on the radio. Monday was the day when Zen talked to his listeners LIVE and discussed their problems. 

"Flying a kite is so similar to living life. Ever wondered how? When a person flies a kite, the kite is far from his reach. What he has in his hands is the tuft of strings through which he controls his kite. He should know well when to pull the string towards him and when to let go of some of the string to make the kite fly better. If he can manage the balance, his kite won't be cut by another kite." I listened to Zen's words with rapturous attention. He continued speaking.

"Now, look at our life. Our life is like that kite. We can only control it by strings. These are strings of intelligence and wisdom. You must know what and when we should let go. You must also know what and when we should pull to ourselves in order to let our life sail well in the vast sky of time." I nodded in agreement and contemplated about the philosophy, when Zen received a call from a listener. 

When she introduced herself and mentioned the name of her locality, I could identify Bhoomi. However, she did not sound soft and fragile as she always sounds.

"I have listened to your programme for the last three days. Can you tell me that what is the use of an hour of tranquility when people like me have to spend the entire day full of mental maladies and never-ending agonies?" Bhoomi said in a harsh tone.

As far as I knew about her life, I knew that she got married at a very early age. It was a love marriage which her parents did not support. Her husband died after three years of their marriage and her in-laws pushed her away from their house with her one year old daughter, calling her an evil curse to their son. She stays with her parents who are grumpy all the time. She also attempted suicide a few times. 

"I can understand that you are a victim of some unfortunate incident, dear." Zen said calmly.

"No, you cannot understand. Unless you are in the shoes of the person suffering, you can never understand. Reading aloud some lines from a self-help book or a motivational blog is very easy." Bhoomi snapped.

"Dear, life is not as bad as we perceive it to be. There is always a reason to live. Search that reason and you will be happy. Your antagonistic thoughts are inflicting you with pain, not your life." Zen said in the same calm manner.



"You don't have any idea about my pathetic life. Quit this show of hypocrisy. You will surely earn money by hosting another show that has more entertainment and less hypocrisy." Bhoomi's words angered me as she was indirectly blaming a person like Zen for her own misery.

Without getting jolted, Zen told Bhoomi on air about his health condition and the struggles he had faced with it since his birth. Bhoomi was out of words after hearing the truth. The loud woman who was snapping at Zen retreated back into her shell. 

"You are the lucky caller and you have won a goody bag. Collect it from our station within a week." Zen declared before ending the show on that day. 


***

I met Bhoomi after a month in the nearby grocery shop. She looked happy and greeted me warmly, unlike other days when she seems lost. Her three year old daughter was too busy choosing candies.

"I heard you on the radio, few days back." I blurted.

"On Zen's show?" She asked and I nodded, telling her I am a huge fan of that show.

"Zen is a magical human being. I was so rude that day, but when I met him in person, I was filled with admiration for him. He told me to love life because my daughter is my reason for living. He motivated me to start doing some work that will give me contentment. I am not much educated, but I thought to start a music and art class very soon." Bhoomi said with enthusiasm.

"That's amazing. I know you can sing and paint well." I said with a smile.

"I just thought when a person like Zen who has such a huge physical deformity can continue living his life beautifully by doing something he loves, why can't I? I don't have any physical problems. After meeting and talking to Zen, I started valuing my life and understood that my negative thoughts were responsible for my suffering ." Bhoomi said and I encouraged her to pursue her dream.




***

Today, Bhoomi has her own music and art class. She teaches music and art to students of all ages. She has found the purpose of her life. She values her life and never looks at it with pity. I feel great to see her doing well, but the thing that makes me immensely happy is how a meeting with Zen changed her life.

In this selfish and brutal world, there are some people who are angels on this earth. They have so much light in them that once you come in touch with them, you are enlightened. 

People who can value life, even after going through a lot of storms are the real champions. 

This world needs more champions like Zen who can enlighten the weak and tormented souls and spread positive vibes all around.

#SpreadTheVibe because all the good in the world needs to be talked about. Read more at http://www.youthkiawaaz.com/

Note: This is a real story. However, some names have been changed to protect privacy.


22 comments:

  1. Someone close to me has the same condition, cerebral palsy and he has a lovely life. I am so happy for Bhoomi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such people are really such a huge source of inspiration :)
      Thanks Mridula for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Great writing and lots of inspiration.Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely comment. Glad you liked it :)

      Delete
  3. very inspirational and the analogy of life to a kite is so well explained...loved your post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you loved the post, Shweta. Thanks a lot, dear :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this inspirational piece. It is nice to know about the program which helps you connect with some real motivation around :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Vinay. That radio program has been my emotional anchor during a lot of challenging times. And I am so glad you liked the post. Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. Indeed inspiring. You have held the attention till the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very positive, very beautiful.
    Great message for the brand new year. Thank you Purba. :)
    And Happy New 2016

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Divya. Wish you too a very happy and prosperous 2016 :)

      Delete
  7. This is such an inspiring story dear. It is easy to suggest someone in distress to stay happy and cheerful always and spread the vibe, but it takes immense courage to let the demotivated soul see the the world through his/her own eyes. Zen is one person who has created a transformation not only in Bhoomi's life but in the world of so many listeners who were on the show live. It often happens when a person turns so drastic out of his/her frustrations and circumstances that words become swords for the people around him/her. But we definitely need changing minds and positive souls like Zen who have the audacity to sense evil and transform it into sheer optimism. Thanks for sharing such a motivational story with us dear, loved your power of narration to the core. :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Maitreni. Zen has enlightened so many listeners in our city and have motivated the people who were lost in the dark. Personally, I have gained a lot of courage and motivation from him. I really enjoyed writing this story. And I feel you can enlighten only those who are willing to grasp your light. So, I am sure Bhoomi is also a beautiful soul who got inspired by Zen and changed the course of her life.
      Thank you so much for your precious and beautiful comment dear. It made me happy. God bless you too. Much love <3

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful motivating post! Brought tears to my eyes.Thank you so much for sharing Purba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rajeev for the wonderful comment. I am glad you found it touching :)

      Delete
  9. People often feel that their pain is greater than what others have suffered. It is only when we look deeply that we see that every life has tears and pains. Truly brave people are those who manage to smile and spread happiness against all odds. Bhoomi learnt this well from Zen and could bring the much needed change. Great post Purba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have said it perfectly, Sunaina. We often feel that our pain and suffering is larger than that of others. And this is the root cause of misery. Thank you so much for your wonderful comment, dear :)

      Delete
  10. Such an inspirational post! I am glad Bhoomi is doing fine :) Thanks for sharing so much information about Cerebral Palsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you found the post inspirational. Thank you so much for stopping by. Great to see you here :)

      Delete

Hey! If you like this post or have anything to tell, please go ahead.
Looking forward to hearing from you :)