badge

Saturday 16 May 2015

My Affair With Music: Sometimes Attached, Sometimes Detached

Without music, life would be a mistake - Friedrich Nietzsche

Well, my affair with music is really weird. It's kind of sometimes intense and attached, at other times a little detached. My work is to be largely blamed for that. 

I have been introduced to the beautiful and magical world of music when I was only three years old. My mom was a classical singer, trained in playing various classical Indian instruments and had a voice to die for. She had performed in various radio and television programmes as well as in live concerts.

One day, when I was three years old, she heard me humming a very popular Rabindrasangeet (Tagore song) called "Purano Shei Diner Kotha", she was shocked and overwhelmed with happiness that day. She was convinced then that I would become a singer when I grow up.


Since that day, Mom has been my guiding light to the path of music. She taught me several genres of music such as classical, semiclassical, Rabindrasangeet, Nazrulgeeti and modern album songs  till I was 12. I gave my first solo stage performance during my school's annual concert day when I was only six years old. And after that, I used to perform in several cultural functions every year. 

When my Mom passed away, I withdrew myself from music totally as singing and playing the harmonium reminded me of her badly. So I stopped singing and tried to stay away from music. However, my affair with music was not destined to end; it was only lying dormant within me.

It resurfaced when I was in my college as I was surrounded by many music enthusiasts there. I started performing after a long break of six years, in my college functions. I was overwhelmed with the amount of appreciation I got. It motivated me further to do something great with music. I used to try composing some tunes on some of my poems so that I could create a new song for myself.

Seeing my passion for music, my Dad gifted me an acoustic guitar.
I was exhilarated and started learning the chords. I was able to play a couple of easy songs on the guitar after practicing for about six months. 

My prized possession, my guitar


Finally, college days were over and I got busy in my work and writing, I couldn't practice playing the guitar frequently. As a result, I started forgetting the chords which I learned after so many hours of dedication. I felt depressed, but with my daily job of content developer during the day and author during night, it was not possible for me to dedicate some hours to music everyday.

However, I sing almost every day. It's like an inseparable part of me, albeit I don't do anything to polish my vocals. The maximum I manage to do now is singing an acapella or singing with a karaoke and uploading my covers on Soundcloud. 

However, I have promised myself something. After working hard for some years and achieving some of my goals (for example: after writing about 5-6 books), I would take a long break to pursue my passion of singing. I would try my best to be a skilled guitarist and would polish my vocals deftly. I also wish to be my own song writer and perhaps a co-composer too. 

And someday, perhaps I would be able to release my own new song and make my Mom proud of me. (The idea itself is making me grin from ear to ear! )

17 comments:

  1. Purba, it is nice to read about your connection with music, memories of your mom, how learning guitar got you going, and your wish to pursue your passion. A post from the heart. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Somali. Yeah it was a trip down the memorylane reminiscing about the good old times :)

      Delete
  2. Music, as I can understand, is something you are extremely attached with. This is a post straight from your heart entwined with beautiful memories of your mom... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Maniparna. I always associate music with my Mom. This post was a way of remembering her all through :)

      Delete
  3. Wow Purba... am so proud of you! Mom would never have wanted you to stop singing... so you must never give it up for her sake... god bless! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thank you dear for the sweet words. I would never give it up! God bless you too :)

      Delete
  4. ok after reading this post i must say
    1. You are pool of talent
    2. Your mom would be proud of you even now how you have grown as author and as a person
    3. Please don't stop singing and yea the uploading part you mentioned plz do it again because i am there to listen always.
    4. Thats a beautiful guitar ! I want to learn few chords too so teach me plz.
    5. Keep smiling <3 keep writing <3

    lots of love <3
    your brother
    sachin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading you comment, I would like to say:
      1. Thank you, Sachin.
      2. I really wish Mom was here with me.
      3. Yeah, I really wish to start the uploading soon again.
      4. I need to learn the chords better, so that I can teach you.
      5. You too keep smiling always.

      Delete
  5. Music is the language of gods! Being a musician myself, I can totally relate to it.

    You know? Everyone loves music and want to perform in some way or other. But, to be able to perform is a boon given to very few and once you are bestowed that blessing, please don't let it die. Don't ever quit music. You are lucky to be able to understand and create the most beautiful of the arts in the universe!

    Keep spreading the beauty! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Glad to know that you are a musician.
      Thanks for the beautiful words. It is indeed a boon to understand and create music. I would never ignore or quit it.
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear about your mom. Hugs!

    Now that you have shared it with us, we will remind you to work on your music after you have completed rest of your books. I think you have two to your credit, right?

    And do share you soundcloud profile, would love to listen to your songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Saru. Yes, I have two books published under my name. Working on the 3rd manuscript currently. I really wish to work on my music some day.
      Here is my soundcloud profile: https://soundcloud.com/musical_purba :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link, somehow the one on your blog is not working.

      Delete
  7. I can connect with all that you have written Purba......Wherever your mom is, she can always hear you and she will remain the hidden unseen motivation in all your efforts. Keep up your connection with music, my dear. Wish you all the best and a life full of melodies and happiness....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dear for the lovely words. I can always feel my Mom's presence and I totally agree that she will always be the unseen motivation in my accomplishments.
      Keep smiling always dear :)

      Delete
  8. Wow that's such an amazing post Purba, am delighted to know you sing, would love to hear you babe...and yes your ma will be proud as you are so multi talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so sweet. Thanks for sharing. Lovely purba. Atb!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! If you like this post or have anything to tell, please go ahead.
Looking forward to hearing from you :)