badge

Wednesday 20 May 2015

Memories and Stories of my Mother


My identity is your graceful blessing
My existence is your benevolent gift
I don’t have to look into the temple
You’re my Goddess, my guardian angel.

Your divine smile, a healing ointment
Your compassionate eyes, a whiff of fresh soothing breeze
In your beautiful, serene countenance
I find the tranquility of the whole world.

With care, dedication and love,
You have built the foundation of morals
On which I stand today with dignity
Pursuing my passions, fulfilling my dreams.

You’re my teacher, my Creator
I am just an extension of you
We are synonymous, we are alike
Mother! I am your reflection, your daughter!



A mother doesn’t only give us life, but sculpts and moulds us into responsible, beautiful human beings. Her sacrifice and her dedication in our upbringing is incomparable. The moment she takes her baby in her arms, she dedicates her entire life for her baby’s upbringing and well-being. 

The relationship between a mother and daughter is extremely special. The mother is the first expert, the first friend, the first teacher and the first philosopher of a daughter. In this article, I am going to share about the 5 most beautiful memories that I have with my mother, #MyFirstExpert


For me, the other name of music is my mother: 

(Image source: here)

Music is definitely an inseparable component of our lives and for me, the other name of music is my mother. My mother had a beautiful, mellifluous voice and she could play a variety of Indian instruments namely Tabla, Harmonium, Tanpura etc.

When I was a little kid, she used to wake me up by singing songs in the morning and make me fall asleep by singing lullabies at night. Then, as I grew up, she taught me music, accompanied me to music concerts, and motivated me to perform well on stage.

I got inclined and attached to music because of my mother. I really have those fond memories of me singing a song and my mom playing an instrument along with it. Those were some really lovely days!


My mother introduced me to the world of books:

(Image Source: here)

I cannot imagine a life without books. Reading is as essential to me as breathing. I remember my mother used to read plenty of stories to me when I was small. I used to listen to them with a lot of excitement and eagerness. 

One day, I told my mother that I was feeling very lonely because my friends in school were not talking to me properly. I was crying profusely that day when she told me that she is going to introduce me to some wonderful friends who will never let me feel lonely again in life.

I was surprised and asked her innocently who they are. That was the time when she explained me that books are our most loyal friends. Once I strike a friendship with them, they will always be there with me. I looked at her in amazement.

The next day, she gave me the book “Alice in wonderland”. I started reading and within those pages, I found the truth in her words. Since then, I have never felt lonely in my life. The friendship that my mom had developed between books and me gets stronger with every passing year.
 

My mother was my playmate: 


(Image Source: here)

I have fond memories of playing badminton, chess and carom with my mother. She was a really tough competitor and it was so hard to win with her. I used to feel angry after losing and one day I asked her why she doesn’t let me win easily. 

That is when she told me that she wants me to be more focused and wants to develop the sportsman spirit in me. She taught me the words: “You win some, you lose some. You must learn to accept success with humility and accept defeat gracefully.”

I used to really enjoy playing with her. Whenever I won, she used to cook tasty dishes for me and when I used to lose, she used to cheer me up by giving me a treat outside home. She was really the best playmate.



My mother taught me that happiness is in giving

(Image Source: here)

My mother used to always tell me that true happiness is in giving and I used to wonder how. 
 
It was my eleventh birthday. I got plenty of gifts from my friends and I was very happy. There was an underprivileged girl who lived near our house. Her name was Gauri. When I was returning home after celebrating my birthday, I saw her crying at one corner of the street. 

I told her not to cry and that it was my birthday. My mother prompted me to give her a box of chocolates. Finally, I gave her a box of chocolates that I got in my birthday. Gauri stopped crying and smiled at me.

Her smile was so genuine that it directly reached my heart. I realized that the pleasure I got from all the gifts that my friends gave me was not as much as the pleasure I found in making this underprivileged girl happy by sharing my chocolates with her.That day, I realized that giving is a bliss.


My mother was my cheerleader:

(Me with my mother in Darjiling, when I was 12 years old)

In my childhood, I was a little bundle of nervous energy. I used to get nervous before going to the stage and also in the ground during the annual sports of my school.

I have fond memories of my mother cheering me up whenever I took part in a race, when I sang in the stage, when I participated in the debate competitions and when I received prizes. She used to clap, hoot and cheer me up, without caring about the world. By being the most wonderful cheerleader, she successfully made me a confident person today.


Sometimes, I desire to write a book about you
But, then I change my plans 
Pages would fall short
The ink will exhaust
You just cannot pour the ocean in a glass.

You are the lullaby that makes me sleep
The melody that beautifies my life
The book that guides me
The goodness that surrounds me
O Mother! You’re my life sustaining force.

Wish you were with me today physically
Though I know deep in my heart,
We are connected spiritually
I can feel your divine hand on my head
Your blessings sheathing me wherever I go.

 



This Mother's Day, Godrej Expert Creme Rich celebrates our first expert, our mothers. Apart from celebrating Moms, they are also celebrating the most widely trusted expert when it comes to hair color. You can find the details at http://godrejexpert.com/single_used_pack.php

     

16 comments:

  1. I don't have any words to describe how amazing this post is. its from heart! . the poems n pics <3 thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sachin. You know I loved writing this post, recollecting the most fond memories I have with my mother :)

      Delete
    2. Even i loved reading it. :) your mother looks so beautiful. Infact when i saw the pics i was just stunned . Mother and daughter both look like naina talwar !

      Delete
    3. Yeah I look like her but she is much more beautiful :)

      Delete
  2. Again a post with emotions straight from your heart...you look so much like your mom, loved the poem and best is I read how she instilled music in you so relate to this so well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Shweta.
      For me, the best compliment is when people say that I look like my mom :)

      Delete
  3. This is an amazing write-up Purba... I can feel every word of it. So touching ...

    You look exactly like your maa! I especially loved the poems. Will be more than happy to see you as a winner... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your saying this means a lot, Maniparna. Thank you so much :)
      Dida also says that I look exactly like maa :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful writeup Purba describing a wonderful relationship..and the poem is just perfect. Best wishes for the contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading the post and for your wishes, Somali :)

      Delete
  5. Extraordinary...I have been in the blogging circuit for a long time, have won many contests and have read some really great posts, I have to tell you that this post is among the best I have ever read. The emotions that you have put into the post can be easily felt by anyone who reads it. :-)

    The picture of you and your mom gives faces to the emotions and I think the poems will definitely touch everybody's heart. Wonderful writing. Stay blessed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! Gaurab, you made my day dear. I cannot tell you how happy I am right now, reading your comment. This post is really close to my heart and I wrote each and every line with all the emotions that I have, with all the love that I have for my mother.
      Thank you for the words of appreciation. You have always encouraged me right from day one which worked as motivation for me. Thank you once again. You too stay blessed...and I miss reading your posts. Write one, soon :)

      Delete
  6. You could be writing about my mother. Beautifully expressed. Salute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really so sweet of you, Lata. Thanks dear :)

      Delete

Hey! If you like this post or have anything to tell, please go ahead.
Looking forward to hearing from you :)