badge

Sunday 5 April 2015

Dad, are you afraid of the dark?


“Dad, are you afraid of the dark?” Mishti asked to her father in the evening.

Her father looked at her innocent face with slight clammy eyes. Heaving a deep sigh, he said, “Dear, most people are afraid of darkness. Sometimes, I am also afraid of darkness.”

“In the morning, Anjy asked me how I endure the ever persistent darkness in my life. Don’t you feel scared all the time, Mishti? She asked. I closed my eyes and opened it again but couldn’t find any difference between light and darkness. The entire day, I wondered how I can figure out the difference. Dad, can you please explain to me the difference between light and darkness?”

Her father was perplexed with that question. He thought if only there was a way to perfectly explain his blind daughter the difference between light and darkness. After contemplating for a while, he started speaking.

“My dear, darkness makes us feel paralyzed, crippled and uneasy. It makes us unable to figure out what should be done and what should not. Light is beautiful, pleasant and soothing. It gives us the assurance and the right perspective.”

“That’s it?” Mishti prodded.

“Yes, my darling.”

“Then, I know darkness. And I know light too. Yes, I know the difference, Dad.” Mishti said with exhilaration.

Her Dad gazed at her smile, a little bemused and elated.

“Darkness is fear. Darkness is anger. Darkness is jealousy. Darkness is hatred. Indeed, darkness cripples us and makes us helpless.
Light is love. Light is kindness. Light is peace. Light is friendship. Light soothes us and gives us assurance.” Mishti said with a peaceful smile.

Her Dad was amazed at her little daughter’s way of understanding darkness and light.

“And you know Dad, right now with you by my side, all I see is light and only light.” The visually impaired girl giggled in sheer ecstasy embracing her father.

 This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda.


9 comments:

  1. She is so wise to find positivism despite the helpless darkness.
    I wish we all can find reasons to be happy in our lives no matter what.
    A beautiful post!

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Simran. We should all try to find the positivity (light) in all situations, no matter how dark it is.
      Thanks dear :)

      Delete
  2. She is so wise to find positivism despite the helpless darkness.
    I wish we all can find reasons to be happy in our lives no matter what.
    A beautiful post!

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful story purba....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your stories Purba :-) big hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thanks for the appreciation dear. Means a lot. Hugs :)

      Delete
  5. This was touching. A well deserved WOW post!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! If you like this post or have anything to tell, please go ahead.
Looking forward to hearing from you :)